Scenario List for Arnhem 2008 is on the website !

Jacometti

Dear Swedish ASL friends,

it is my pleasure to announce that the Scenario Selection for the Main and Mini Tournaments are now available on the Arnhem website: (www.xs4all.nl/~hennies). I hope you will all have a look and see what is on offer. Of course there will be one surprise scenarios round, which will only be published at the tournament itself.

We have included one very interesting scenario: Danger Forward from the Action Pack. This is a known dog, as the Italians have almost no chance in the original scenario. We then found out the guys at MMP cut the mapboard by about 6 hexrows (including a big juicy building) compared to the playtested version that was submitted. We have restored the map to its original size, after discussion with the American designer of this scenario. We are still testing to see how far this balances out and might add another small Balance SSR, but we are excited to offer you this scenario.....let's hope it will meet our expectations. :huh:

Just like last year, you must preregister and pay in advance for the accommodation at the StayOkay and the deadline is again 1st of August 2008. Prices are the same as last year and we again will only have 4-bed rooms available.

I hope to meet many of you again in September this year, for the 6th time. You will maybe meet me at Friendly Fire in Linkoping before that time....

Best regards,

Peter Struijf

Tournament Director

• 2 weeks later...

Scenario WCW6 LOS EJERCITOS NUEVOS

SPECIAL RULES:

2. Republican.....Squads & HSs are considered inexperienced for Cowering & SW usage;.....

3. Nationalist.....Squads & HSs are considered inexperienced for MMG usage.....

Questions:

The use of the term inexperienced doesn´t explain if they are considered to be

Conscripts or Green units (probably Conscripts??).

When a MMG (even if captured) is used by Nationalist unit, it may Cower two columns, otherwise

it can only Cower one column (even if using the Balance-HMG)..

The Balance for the Nationalist is to exchange one of their MMG with a HMG,

would you as me support the claim that the usage of this HMG would not suffer.

inexperienced usage.

There will be more of this Third Part Poorly-written SSRs to come.

Please feel free to give your views of the above.

Use ASL English here since in the end Peter Struijf will have to give his ruling what

these SSRs means.

Edited by CTABKA

Dear all,

STABKA raised a question on the SSR for Los Ejercitos Nuevos, defining the Nationalist and Republican units as Inexperienced (for SW and Cowering purposes only) without defining their status as either Green or Conscript.

As far as I can see, this SSR is clear when it comes to Cowering: the penalties for Cowering (two columns) are identical for Green and Conscript troops. So it makes no difference here.

For SW usage however this SSR is not clear - a Green MMC stacked with a leader is exempt from the lowered Breakdown of its SW, but a Conscript is not. Given the likely intention of the scenario designer, I would interpret them as Conscripts for relevant SW usage in both SSRs.

Regardless of this minor clarification, I consider this scenario with 19-21 ROAR a pretty good bet for an infantry-only scenario. :blink:

Cheerio,

Peter Struijf

Today, Hennie van der Salm and I played "Danger Forward" with the expanded mapboard. We found it much more interesting and balanced, but still pro-American. We therefore gave the Italians another little bit of help, in the form of a HMG. This is how it will be on the menu in Arnhem. Hope it will work out.

I also answered Stabka's questions regarding the SSR for Los Ejercitos Nuevos - Hennie will update the Scenario List / Clarifications on the website very soon, so all should be clear.

Best regards,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

The Scenario

PBP 11 A CIVIL WAR NOT A GENTLEMAN`S WAR

There is an ABS chart available, my guess is that it is used

for the scenario, despite the Tournament statement " ABS will be used in Round 1: ".

The R3 balance reads:

R3: As for R2 and replace Republican 9-0 SMC with an 8-0 SMC

To make it a better I would suggest the following re-write:

R3: As for R2 and replace Republican 9-0 SMC with an 8-0 SMC during set-up.

Otherwise (see ASOP) the "Russian" player would be able to exchange his 8-0 SMC with

a 9-0 SMC.

Anyhow - good scenario... although could be better.

• 2 weeks later...
The Scenario

PBP 11 A CIVIL WAR NOT A GENTLEMAN`S WAR

Hi STABKA,

thanks for raising this question. ABS is ONLY used in the first round of the Arnhem tournament. The main reason is that the scenarios are quite small and two scenarios in this round (Abandoned Army and IJA's last battle) have quite low ROAR records - so we want to give players a chance to influence their side a bit more by ABS bidding.

In the other rounds, ABS is not used. The scenario "A Civil War, not a Gentleman's War" will only use the first levels of the printed ABS - so the players will bid Republican or Nationalist, with only R1 or N1 brought into play in case of same preferences.

Best Regards,

Peter

There is an ABS chart available, my guess is that it is used

for the scenario, despite the Tournament statement " ABS will be used in Round 1: ".

The R3 balance reads:

R3: As for R2 and replace Republican 9-0 SMC with an 8-0 SMC

To make it a better I would suggest the following re-write:

R3: As for R2 and replace Republican 9-0 SMC with an 8-0 SMC during set-up.

Otherwise (see ASOP) the "Russian" player would be able to exchange his 8-0 SMC with

a 9-0 SMC.

Anyhow - good scenario... although could be better.

SP131 POCKET PANZERS

The entry area for the American HQ Coy (3x 7-4-7 & 8-0) is in not clear - it reads

- enter turn 2 on/between 22R10 and 22O10.

probably it should read (only guessing):

- enter turn 2 on between 22R10 and 22O10 along the west edge.

You would otherwise have to agree with your opponent what the writing means.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The German entry text reads

- enter on or after turn 1 on/between 44GG8 and 44L0.

It would be better if it instead had been written (assuming that this is the correct antry area).

- enter on board 44 on/after turn 1 on/between 44GG8 and 44L0.

As written now it is unckear if the German force could enter either along the

29 hexes board edge area or the 73 hexes - board edge area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would it not been better if the scenario designer had written the following:

BOARD CONFIGURATION - Only hexrows L-GG are in play.

Since the 11 hexrows A-K doesn´t really seems to be used whatsoever,

with other words the Stream Overlay St1 is unneccessary and also

the text in SSR 1 could be deleted "The bridge in 22K2 doesn´t exist,".

Unless of course the German entry area really are along the North/East/West/South

73 hexes board edges then it would make sense, but I don´t believe it is (only guessing yet again of course).

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Disagree with your reasoning, that "small scenarios are in more need of ABS than non-small scenarios".

The use of ABS will grant you more of a chance to play the scenario that you really would like to play.

As an Example:

In one round there are three scenarios to choose from

1st scenario - Balanced could play either side - but not really fun to play.

2nd scenario - slightly unbalanced will always give away the balance and with ABS in use then you could very well

give away another balance - depending what it is - quite fun to play.

3rd scenario - Unbalanced and therby not fun at all to play, but if you had been able to

bid the highest level of the ABS - strengthen the other sides force with a LMG (ABS 1)

one squad (ABS 2) and add a 9-1 leader to his OB (ABS 3).

Then the scenario might very well be the best scenario of the three available.

Now you can only use the printed balance on the scenario card (EX: add a LMG ).

With the three options above I would delete scenario #3 and have scenario #1 as my first option

and scenario #2 as my second option.

In my opinion the use of ABS for all scenarios would be the best solution and would even benefit players

that hasn´t been able to play them before the tournament.

ps. if the scenario is a complete howling dog (Ex: the french scenario SAVNIK) then no regular ABS would be able to

adjust the scenario to a balanced affair (with other words more tense and fun).

Hi Stabka,

I really like the point you are making here and I think it's about the best argument for the use of ABS.

Next year, I think I will use ABS for all scenarios in the Arnhem tournament. This year, I will stick with the Tournament Rules as announced - it is too late to consider changing it, IMO.

Thanks very much for the input.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
Melvin wrote:

Scenario WCW6 LOS EJERCITOS NUEVOS

SPECIAL RULES:

2. Republican.....Squads & HSs are considered inexperienced for Cowering & SW usage;.....

3. Nationalist.....Squads & HSs are considered inexperienced for MMG usage.....

Questions:

The use of the term inexperienced doesn´t explain if they are considered to be

Conscripts or Green units (probably Conscripts??).

When a MMG (even if captured) is used by Nationalist unit, it may Cower two columns, otherwise

it can only Cower one column (even if using the Balance-HMG)..

The Balance for the Nationalist is to exchange one of their MMG with a HMG,

would you as me support the claim that the usage of this HMG would not suffer.

inexperienced usage.

Dear all,

CTABKA raised a question on the SSR for Los Ejercitos Nuevos, defining the Nationalist and Republican units as Inexperienced (for SW and Cowering purposes only) without defining their status as either Green or Conscript.

As far as I can see, this SSR is clear when it comes to Cowering: the penalties for Cowering (two columns) are identical for Green and Conscript troops. So it makes no difference here.

For SW usage however this SSR is not clear - a Green MMC stacked with a leader is exempt from the lowered Breakdown of its SW, but a Conscript is not. Given the likely intention of the scenario designer, I would interpret them as Conscripts for relevant SW usage in both SSRs.

Do not understand that you consider the SSR to be clear.

As far as I can see there is no doubt in my mind that Nationalist-Spanis are only considered inexperienced (now Conscripts - with the Tournament House rule) while using MMG (/HMG) even if captured.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jacko :)

It would be great if you could confirm my assumptions (guesses).

Hi Stabka,

sorry for a long delay in answering your question, I only visit the site once in a long while.

Your assumptions are correct.

Whenever a scenario designer defines an entry area as 'between board edge hex A and board edge hex B' we can assume he means to include the shortest possible distance between those two hexes. It may be more complete to add "west edge" etc, but you would have a hard time convincing your opponent the designer might have meant the longest distance between those two hexes.....

Cheers,

Peter

Do not understand that you consider the SSR to be clear.

As far as I can see there is no doubt in my mind that Nationalist-Spanis are only considered inexperienced (now Conscripts - with the Tournament House rule) while using MMG (/HMG) even if captured.

to say that a Nationalist unit is inexperienced while using MMG (or HMG, captured or not) does not resolve what happens to the breakdown number, when leader directed. If they meant conscript, it would still be lowered by one. If they meant Green, it would not be lowered due to the leadership.

A choice had to be made, I chose conscript. Basically, because the designer wants you to use your crews to man the MGs, just like you do with Japanese. Having no penalty at all when leader-directed would reduce this intention.

Does it make sense ?

Cheers,

Peter

MUSSOLINI´S SOLDIERS - Euro Pack #97

The Board Configuration doesn´t mention which hexrows are in play?

The Victory Conditions read that at game end the Republicans must have Good Order Units

to win - do you agree that the word Units means more than one unit?

It is true, the hexrows are not mentioned beneath the Board Layout - sorry we missed out on this errata. Use hexrows R-GG on all boards.

The Victory Conditions state that Nationalists win if there are NO Good Order Republican Units within a certain area.

So if there is any Good Order Republican Unit in that area, the Nationalists have not won. No need for multiple units.

Best regards,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Det är nog inte min sak att berätta, utan killen som helt oblygt går ut med en squad i OG sista rundan, för han vet ju att min FB -44 ändå kommer sticka hem på en 12:a.

Men jag vill veta hur det gick med Melvins HW i Hellingberg? En HW mot ett kompakt försvar i stenhus låter, öh, spännande.

Janusz

Men jag vill veta hur det gick med Melvins HW i Hightide at Heigelberg? En HW mot ett kompakt försvar i stenhus låter, öh, spännande.

Janusz

Human Wave Turn 5 det blev nyckeln till den snabba segern - scenariot var över turn sex av sju - en squad stupade på vägen två bröt och sprang tillbaka med ledaren, en dog i close combat inne i huset och de två sista Rifle squaden med varsinn LMG

dödade en tysk HS och kom därefter att dominera i den centrala delen av huset. En annan non-HW squad sprang även den in i huset med lätthet eftersom HW hade dragit på sig all eld.

C. Peyre gjorde två Human waves - skickligt aggressivt- eftersom Ryssen bara har två ledare och 14 squads, dessutom vann Ryssen även denna strid. 4-2 på en turnering efter att bara ha spelat ASL i ett år.

Grattis Klas, Christoffer

Edited by CTABKA

Självklart grattis även till Bo och till Robert.

Melvin berättade om din match Bo när du som obesegrad i näst sista rundan skulle vinna på allt utom boxcar. Och naturligtvis sår boxcar! Vilket öde!

Det var min egen fejl.

Jeg mistede fokus og koncentration i den sidste advance-phase. Jeg glemte at avancere og blokere en hex som han kunne withdraw'e til hvis jeg slog boxcars. Der var flere units som jeg ikke avancerede. Jeg skulle have minimeret risikoen. Det gjorde jeg ikke. Mentalt var jeg allerede på vej ned i baren tænker jeg.

Det var inte kul :(