Looking for Players

Sean

Hello All,

I am an American who has just moved to Sweden and have recently become extremely interested in the ASL hobby. I live in Vaggeryd, just south of Jönköping, and was wondering if any of you ASLers live in the area, and would be willing to meet and play with me. I am an extreme beginner, but am beyond the level of the Starter Kits. I'm hoping to find at least one guy to play with who also wouldn't mind teaching me more of the game. I currently have the Latest Rule Book, the Latest Beyond Valor, Starter Kits 1&3, Yanks, SASL 2, Pegasus Bridge, Operation Veritable, ASL Journal 3, 5, 6, & 7, the Few Returned Action Pack, and Armies of Oblivion is coming in the mail. (Soon I'll get Valor of the Guards, and I am also interested in other MMP stuff, like Case Blue and Devil's Cauldron.) It's a good beginner's collection with basically no opponents to play it with. Hope to hear from someone. Please forgive me if I do not respond immediately, as I have very limited internet access. Tack så jätte mycket!

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Welcome to Sweden!

I'm sure you'll get some answers from ASL:ers in your neighbourhood pretty soon. If you have the opportunity to visit Stockholm 2nd to 4th of May, be sure to come to Stockholm ASL Tournament!

A little bit closer to Jönköping, in Örebro, there's another ASL meeting 31st of May to 1st of June

Newbie or not, you're very welcome to take part on both occasions.

Best regards

Matts

Sean, we are a couple of guys playing in Linköping, which is 130 km north of Jönköping. We've been discussing an ASL weekend, and maybe you would want to join, if we would have one. And there's also the Friendly Fire tournament, held here. http://www.friendlyfire.se

Other than that, I would be happy to play you would you for some reason be passing through here. :) Or if I'm going south.

And if you want something a little closer to Jönköping, there's a quite vivid scene in Borås. The guy who runs this site, Andreas, lives there. Perhaps you could get in touch with him.

BTW, welcome to the country of honour and heroes :)

Great to hear from you guys.

Borås is of course the easiest for me, but all of it sounds good. I'd be happy to participate in as much as possible.

A weekend in Linköping would be really nice.

How can I find out more about the tournaments in Stockholm and Örebro? And how can I stay informed about what's happening with ASL in Sweden since my Swedish isn't strong enough to understand the rest of this site?

Thanks everyone. I'm glad I found this site, glad to discover ASL is alive and kicking in Sweden, glad to maybe meet some new people and make a few friends.

Hi there Sean and welcome to Sweden - the land of Elks, Dalufärg and Fäbojäntan!

We have a very living ASL community in Sweden, probably the highest per capita in Europe. :rolleyes:

Once a month we have "ASL-dag" (ASL day) in Borås, at the non profit association "Armagedon". The next one is in two weeks, the 29:th of Mars. If you plan to attend you have driving instructions on their site ("Hitta till oss"), if you arrive by train we will pick you up.

Normally, the tournament sites have info in english as well. You can find the url's at the homepage of ASL Sweden.

The Stockholm tournament doesn't have an official site. Here's the info: http://forum.aslsweden.com//index.php?showtopic=1884

The rest of the site is in Swedish, you'll probably understand it soon. ;) In the meanwhile you are more than welcome to post in this forum if you have any questions! Take a look at the Calendar as well (up in the right corner), there you can see everything that's happening.

:)

Great! Really helpful! Don't think I can make it this month, but this is the most fun thing I've heard about in awhile. (I don't get out much.) Hope to make some or all of the dates in the very near future. Tusen Tack! (sp?)

Sean

By the way, here's a rules question maybe someone can help me with:

If one is moving infantry using Armored Advance, are the infantry and the tank allowed to advance in the Advance Phase. I know AFVs are not allowed to advance, but is this an exception? If not, what is the reason? Does it have to do with the time element? Any help?

Sean

By the way, here's a rules question maybe someone can help me with:

If one is moving infantry using Armored Advance, are the infantry and the tank allowed to advance in the Advance Phase. I know AFVs are not allowed to advance, but is this an exception? If not, what is the reason? Does it have to do with the time element? Any help?

The infantry advances, but the AFV doesn't.

Ie, if you plan to continue using Armored Assault with this Infantry and AFV your next turn, you have to stay put in the same location.

Hth

• 4 weeks later...

Andreas,

I would very much like to participate in "ASL-dag" this weekend in Borås. But I have a few questions.

Having never been to anything like this before, what is expected of me?

Am I expected to bring stuff with me? And if so, what?

What's the food situation?

How late into the evening do you guys play? Just need to know so I can schedule my transportation.

Should I expect to play with someone, or will there probably be no one willing to play with such a novice as myself? I don't really care this first time. I'd be happy just to sit around and watch and learn from others.

I will probably be arriving by train or bus, so a ride from the station sounds great!

Hope you can answer some of these questions. Thanks.

Sean

Andreas,

I would very much like to participate in "ASL-dag" this weekend in Borås. But I have a few questions.

Having never been to anything like this before, what is expected of me?

That you are interested in ASL, and that you are a nice guy!

If you know the rules, that's a bonus. Otherwise we'll teach you as good as we can. ;)

Am I expected to bring stuff with me? And if so, what?

Please wear clothes. That's it.

What's the food situation?

That varies. There's microfood to buy from the society. Sometimes we order pizza and sometimes we make a trip together to a nearby restaurant.

How late into the evening do you guys play? Just need to know so I can schedule my transportation.

Depends. This day I know that many of us can't participate no longer than late afternoon. Usually there's still a game as late as midnight.

Should I expect to play with someone, or will there probably be no one willing to play with such a novice as myself? I don't really care this first time. I'd be happy just to sit around and watch and learn from others.

Expect to play, especially since you have announced your interest it will be much easier to arrange opponents.

I will probably be arriving by train or bus, so a ride from the station sounds great!

No probs, just send me the expected arrival time and it will be taken care of. Please take my mobile number as well if anything happens: 0702-69 20 69.

We will probably be 3-5 players this saturday. You are more than welcome!

/andreas

Andreas,

So I don't need to bring any ASL stuff with me, actually. Is that right?

I will come by Swebus to the Borås station at 10:40 Saturday Morning. Is that okay? And I was thinking of leaving from the Station at 9 in the evening. There are earlier and later buses, if you, or whoever can take me, need a different time. Hope this works for you. Let me know what you think. Thanks alot for the help. See you tomorrow.

By the way, how old are you guys? Just so you recognize me at the station, I'm 29, short, dark haired, dark skinned, a little chubby, and kinda look like crap.

My cell is 0705 11 36 12.

Thanks.

Sean,

You don't need to bring any ASL stuff with you, that's correct. We have everyting we need...

Well, we are 50+ and always wear our long dark leather coats. On our arms we have red bands with a white circle, and in the circle there's a black cool symbol. We will pick you up in our fancy Kübelwagen.

Seriously, we are 25-40 years and also look like crap. :D

I will pick you up in a darkblue Mercedes Stationwagon. There's space for cars to stop and pick up people in the middle of the square, just in the front of the central building. I will be there.

Cu 1040 tomorrow.